Saturday, November 20, 2010

a season of firsts

While Melbourne tries to make up its mind on whether its spring or winter I look back on a season well spent. While I haven't gotten around to the usual touristy spots in Victoria, it's certainly been a season of interesting first times for me.

Finally did something that I have been wanting to ever since my first overseas visit….visit the theatre. After days of contemplating on the dress code, I chose to go all out formal for my first brush with the theatre …Mary Poppins. The show was fantabulous…the music, the choreography, the costumes…and the sight of Mary Poppins grand flying exit…oh it totally blew me away. And more so pleasantly surprised to find a lot of folks dressed in casuals…certainly different from the uptight image I had in mind. So taking a leaf from my first experience I wore a pullover and jeans for my next visit…West Side Story. As it turned out, that wasn't such a good move…I looked like a complete schmuck among the up market, artsy, wine sippers. The show itself was quite interesting. Set in New York City in the mid 50s, the musical explores the rivalry between two teenage street gangs of different ethnic backgrounds, and a twist when one gang member falls in love with the sister of the opposing gang leader (Now I know where the movie Josh got its inspiration from). Certainly looking forward to many more theatre visits...can't wait for Mama Mia to come to Melbourne.

"The first thing to learn about skiing is learning how to stop", wise words...as I learnt for myself on the snowy slopes of Mt Buller. The prospect of seeing snow for the first time had me so pumped up that I was on extremely annoying caffeinated behaviour all through the four hour long drive to Buller. (Come to think of it...I think that's the first I have stayed awake all throughout a long drive...another first time.) It was well worth it...five inches of snow...the place looked like it was right out of a Christmas postcard. Anyway, after the initial oohs and aahs, began the daunting task of renting and donning ski gear. Wasn't the most pleasant experience, considering that I needed someone to help push my feet into those ridiculous snow boots. An hour long ski lesson later, all I had managed to master was the right way to clamp the ski on...and to ski along at a snail's pace. Sadly, all the instructions on how to stop were lost on me...and after a few not so graceful stops involving a Korean lady and a scared looking kid (read: crashes ending in a tangle of limbs, skis and a stream of not very nice expletives), I learnt an important lesson of my own. "The easiest way to stop is to simply fall over ". Not surprisingly...the day ended with sore limbs and an extremely sore posterior. I have finally come to the elusive conclusion that skiing is not really my thing...and considering that winters have receded, I have another eight months to make up my mind on whether I want to risk it again.


They call it the Mecca of cricket...and looking out at the awe inspiring green expanse makes you realise why its called so. Sadly even the gorgeous MCG does not inspire me to spend hour after hour watching eleven 'gentlemen' traipse after a ball. The ALF however is another ball game altogether...MCG's Members Dining Room Tickets to watch buffed up guys in shorts, grappling each other...even the fact that I knew nothing about the game couldn't stop me from going. As it turned out, its a fairly simple game to follow...hustle the ball and boot it through the goal...and oh yes, tackle anyone who comes in the way. None of the ridiculous leg byes and bye byes. Two matches and I was hooked on to the sport...so much that two weeks later, I actually spent an entire Sunday afternoon watching the finals on the telly. Can't wait for the AFL season next year...go Bulldogs!!!

The weather was still cold when I started writing this post...that was almost a month back. Well I think its officially summertime in Melbourne now, I have to get out more and see what the city is up to this season...but mostly coz my apartment is weirdly cold and I can't feel my toes any more.

4 comments:

Rachit Tiwari said...

you dnt like cricket and like that wrestling ina big field game????? What kind of an Indian are you??? :)
and the mecca of cricket was always Lords. But yeah MCG, watever i hav seen on TV is awesome. Only the 'bull ring' Wanderers in Jo'berg and our very own Eden Gardens in Kolkata come close it seems.
anyways, u went for which match??? Go for the Ashes match. The Poms are playing well, the Aussies not so much, should be intresting. One of my ex-bosses is travelling to melbourne for the match.

dipz said...

What do you mean what kind of an Indian am I...?? the very best kind!!!
The Ashes?...yeah rite...wild horses couldn't drag me to a test match

Rachit Tiwari said...

hahaha......

Rachit Tiwari said...

hahahaha..... i guess the very best Indians miss out on some good cricket!

Locations of visitors to this page

Free Blog Counter